Experienced Legal Support In Immigration Law & Criminal Law

Photo of Davis M. Tyler
  1. Home
  2.  → 
  3. Immigration Law
  4.  → Certain immigration decisions can be appealed

Certain immigration decisions can be appealed

On Behalf of | Feb 24, 2021 | Immigration Law

If you are a foreign national who wishes to live, work or study in Kentucky or anywhere else in the United States, you may need to seek approval from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. In the event that your request to enter the country is denied, you may be granted the opportunity to appeal that decision.

Are you looking to become a naturalized citizen?

To become a naturalized citizen, you must meet residency requirements. In some cases, it may be possible to preserve your residency status even if you live outside of the country. For instance, submitting Form N-470 may give you the right to leave the United States for a year for employment purposes. If your application is rejected, it may be possible to pursue an appeal.

Were you previously deported?

Those who are asked to leave the United States may be allowed to reenter at some point in the future. However, you must seek permission to gain reentry by filling out Form I-212. Depending on the reason for your previous removal from the country, immigration officials may decide that you’re not eligible to return. It may be in your best interest to consult with an immigration attorney to help you obtain a favorable outcome in your quest to return to America.

Does your spouse want to come to America with you?

Your spouse may be allowed to live in the United States as long as you have the authorization to be here. However, he or she may face different visa renewal requirements, and there is a chance that a request to remain in the country will be denied. Fortunately, your partner will likely be able to ask the government to reconsider an unfavorable decision.

Ideally, you will have an attorney help with your immigration case. An attorney may be able to explain the appeal process, gather evidence that might help you obtain a favorable outcome in your case or take other steps to assist during a legal proceeding. This may allow you to remain in the country or seek legal status for your spouse.